Boiled Shibori

Boiled Shibori

Hi, this is my blog sharing art, design and textiles techniques. This technique uses heat to manipulate the shape of the fabric. Strings can be used or objects can be tied into the fabric which is then emerged into boiling water and cooked. 

Materials used in samples: Fabric (Cotton/ chiffon/ silk). String. Hard Materials (Marbles, coins, stones). Water. Metal Pan. Cooker. Dye/ Inks/ Paints. 


This sample uses just string, brusho inks and cotton fabric. I have used string to tie sections of the fabric and then boiled the fabric in water for 30 minutes. Once dry I dye the fabric using a range of methods. After dying I allow to dry again before removing the strings. 



Boiled Shibori with Coins



To create this sample I have used a plain grey cotton fabric. I have then tied coins into the fabric into different sections to create a striped effect. I have then boiled the fabric for 30 minutes on a medium heat. When boiling the fabric must be cooked at a medium heat and add additional water when needed, the pan must not boil dry. I have used inks and a paint brush to colour the fabric after cooking. Dying the fabric after boiling and allowing to dry a second time helps to keep the shape and texture of the fabric. 


Experimenting with Textures



For these samples I have experimented with a range of textures. To the left I have used marbles, centre small coins and right gem stones. Objects used for experiments need to be solid and heat resistant. 



Experimenting with Material


For this sample I have experimented with material. For previous samples I have used a light thin cotton, here I have used a transparent chiffon with coins. The chiffon fabric takes the shape differently to cotton. Cotton fabric holds it shape much better however I think the chiffon creates great three dimensional effects with areas being transparent. I have added a dye to the fabric to highlight areas of the shape and make some of the three dimensional structures more prominent. 





Exploring Materials



This sample uses a silk material and marbles. I have also experimented with a natural dye for this piece. To begin I have made the natural dye using red cabbage leaves. I have then tied marbles into the silk fabric and boiled using water and a pan for 20 minutes. After boiling I have dipped the fabric into the cabbage dye and allowed to dry before removing the marbles. 




Please feel free to visit my youtube page for more three-dimensional shibori effects or ask any questions 😀





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Natural Dyes